Greenville, NC asked in DUI / DWI for North Carolina

Q: It's been 3 yrs since I received my first DUI. I haven't been charged in court yet. Loosing my license for a year,

Would the judge just give me time served since it's been 3 yrs

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Dewar
Kristen Dewar
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Concord, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You've had a pending DWI for 3 years? Sounds like you should be speaking with an attorney regarding your case - you have what we call a Turner issue. There is some current litigation concerning the statute of limitations that the State has to prosecute people charged with misdemeanors, like DWIs. Speak with an experienced criminal defense/DWI attorney in the county where you were charged regarding this issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.