Elkridge, MD asked in Divorce for Maryland

Q: Do I have to sign a property settlement agreement prior to divorce if I do not agree with the terms and have no lawyer?

My husband and I were going to divorce on our own once he refinanced and took me off the deed and loan. Then His father died recently, he hired a lawyer immediately after on someone’s advice. He stands to inherient a lot but it’s in a estate. The agreement from his lawyer seems fishy and basically takes away all of my rights. It eliminates me and scares me and I’m not sure what my rights r in this situation. No minor children involved. I’m just feeling like he’s rushing and trying to push me to sign, as well as getting a lawyer involved when we discussed not to. Only asset we have together is the Home, he has agreed to a settlement on that and I agree with that part of it but all the other verbiage has scared me enough Not to sign it...

I feel he’s hiding something all of a sudden.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pawnee A. Davis
Pawnee A. Davis
  • Bethesda , MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Ma’am, you certainly should be concerned that this is a one-sided settlement agreement. You need someone to represent your interests and to make sure that you don’t lose out on anything you may be entitled to. I don’t know everything at stake without getting into the details with you, but you potentially could be losing a lot. Please contact me if you would like to discuss this. My contact information is in my profile.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.