Olmsted Falls, OH asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Does the court make you provide proof of income and stability to obtain custody of children after the parents die?

My mom is trying to get custody of my niece and nephew their parents died, what does she have to provide to prove she’s able to take care of them? She has no income at all and is reling on living off of the kids SSI checks. I hope this isn’t possible please help! I want to try and get custody myself but she’s making it a nightmare for me since they are with her right now. I deffinently have the best interest of the kids they want to be with me but are afraid of telling her because she goes crazy on them. They are 8 and 16yeara old they know what’s better for them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Before a court will award custody, the court will require information that the person can provide a suitable home environment, has sufficient income, etc. The court will decide what is in the best interest of the children. If your mother is not able to provide a proper home, contact children's services. If you want to obtain guardianship, use the Find a Lawyer tab and retain a local family law or probate attorney to assist you with the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.