Lake Stevens, WA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Washington

Q: My child’s father recently moved to California, me and the child live in Washington, we don’t have a parenting plan...

The father doesn’t pay child support, he doesn’t help out with finances or essentials, he told me the day of that he was moving to a different state. He is always bugging me about talking to her on the phone, can I get in trouble for not letting them talk? Do I have to have contact with him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marc Andrew Moses
Marc Andrew Moses
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Washington

A: I wouldn't wait to see if you are going to get in trouble for not allowing your child to talk to the other parent. There may be reasons to do so, but I would rather see you present the issue to the court and get a judge to issue an order.

If the child resides in Washington, you can file a petition in Superior Court in the county where the child lives, then ask for a parenting plan and a child support order, the two issues mentioned in your question, as well as other issues that may affect you and your child.

I would recommend that you consult with a family law attorney to discuss the details of your particular issues, since every situation is different.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.