Fort Washington, MD asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Maryland

Q: Where would I begin looking for an attorney for grandson who is a criminal defendant with mental health issues?

What concerns me most about my grandson's case: My grandson appears to not have substantive conversations with a public defender who represents his interest. For example, the public defender who appeared in court on January 16 thought my grandson was still in the state mental health hospital (Spring Grove); the same public defender told my husband during a break that she had not spoken with my grandson personally, although attorney appeared in my grandson's case without his presence in court. I learned that my grandson was moved from the mental health hospital based on a judgement that he is now mentally competent to stand trial. On the other hand, I learned that the state attorney who appeared in court alleged to not know why my grandson was not in court (also displayed in open court by asking me aloud "do I know where my grandson because he was absent from his court appearance). Something became obvious to me when the public defender showed great deference to the state attorney.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas J. Maronick Jr
Thomas J. Maronick Jr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Glen Burnie, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: We handle these issues and you can call us at 410 244-5068. The initial consult is free.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.