Lanham, MD asked in Education Law for Maryland

Q: Is there any way to stay in Howard County middle school until the end of this school year if you moved in January?

My children currently attend in a Middle school in Howard County. I am trying to keep them there until the end of the school year. Is that possible? They asked for tuition if I stay. I know that the school was received tuition for my children at the beginning of this school year, though.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ashley VanCleef
Ashley VanCleef
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Frederick, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: HCPSS Policy 9000 explains how tuition is assessed as follows:

A student who becomes a nonresident, because the parent(s) with whom the student resides move out of Howard County during the school year, may complete the current school year at the school in which the student is enrolled. Tuition may be assessed based on the following:

a. If the student becomes a nonresident prior to the fourth marking period, the student will be allowed to remain for the duration of that school year only and tuition will be assessed.

b. If the student becomes a nonresident during the fourth marking period, the student may attend for the rest of that school year tuition free.

c. For a student who becomes a nonresident after achieving Junior status, the student will be allowed to remain at the student’s current school through graduation upon payment of tuition.

If a family were to move during the 4th marking period, the student may continue to attend tuition free. Otherwise, tuition is assessed. There are some exceptions and the opportunity to request tuition waivers for financial hardships.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.