Crossville, TN asked in Civil Rights, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Tennessee

Q: Could a friend of mine legally leave her parents house @ 17 and go to college if her parents dont approve?

She wants to attend UCF in Florida. She is a senior in high school, and graduates this year in May. She turns 18 in Sept, but school starts before that time. Could she legally leave her house and go to school if her parents want to keep her at home? She really wants to further her education, but her parents won't allow her out of their sight period. Could she tried to get emancipated? What are her options?

1 Lawyer Answer
Marjorie A Bristol
Marjorie A Bristol
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Goodlettsville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: She can't leave without her parents' permission unless she is emancipated. In order to be emancipated, she will need to petition the court and demonstrate that she is capable of supporting herself independently and making adult decisions. She should consult an attorney if that is something that she is interested in pursuing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.