Tempe, AZ asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: I’m representing myself in a criminal case, how do I reschedule the court date to prepare?

I plead not guilty to trespassing, disorderly conduct, and assault of an officer. The prosecutor has the charges as misdemeanors and the officer is not pressing charges. I was told that I could not have a court opponented attorney but I could hire one as necessary. My police report states that I repeatedly stated “I did not assault anyone” and the evidence against me is body cam footage that I have not seen. 1) how do I request more time? 2) do you think I should hire counsel based on these facts? 3) if they won’t allow me a court appointed attorney, do you feel they won’t try to give jail time?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Priscilla Frisby
Priscilla Frisby
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tucson, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If you are facing jail time and cannot afford to hire private counsel, the court WILL appoint you a lawyer. The State needs to give you all the evidence they have against you, police reports, videos, photos, etc. so that you can decide whether you want to reach a non-trial disposition or go forward to trial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.