Manchester Township, NJ asked in Tax Law for New Jersey

Q: I received property when my father passed and selling it. I live in NJ and wondered what inhertance tax will be due

The property is in Croatia. I'm a citizen of the US and live in NJ

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marcel Wurms
Marcel Wurms
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Lodi, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You didn't say whether your father was a NJ citizen. If he wasn't then NJ will not tax the property. If he was, then the property will be subject to the NJ estate tax calculation.

You should consult with a CPA or attorney fluent in NJ estate and inheritance taxation.

Disclaimer: The provided information is for informational purposes only. This should not be construed as the providing of legal advice, since facts and circumstances of each matter can affect the correctness of this advice. An attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice. Any advice given here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.