Birmingham, AL asked in Real Estate Law for Alabama

Q: My aunt signed a contract stating she'd sell her interest in my grandmothers estate to me but refused payment.

Grandmother passed away 14 years ago.My aunt/Godmother moved in to care for her.She continued living in the home until this past feburary as she passed from cancer.My Aunt MaeLene was a Godsend to me as she raised me like her own after my mom Janet her little sister(15years younger) passed when i was 9.My fiance an I moved in to care for her the last 4 months so she wouldnt have to go to a nursing home.Upon her passing we remained in the home.My aunts son who is disabled as well schizophrenic lives on the property also.My oldest aunt Joyce agreed to sell her interest of the 3.3 acre estate(1.1) to me for the sum of 3,000 as signed in the contract we wrote in front of the whole family.The house was mutually agreed to be worthless due to disrepair.Contract said to be fully resolved in 30 days.Joyce took everything she wanted in exchange from the home.The 30th day she refused to go sign the quit deed an get her 3,000 at the lawyer.Demanding 20,000.IS THIS Legal?Is she bound?what do i do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You should take the contract to a good local lawyer nearby and let him or her analyze it. The sooner you can do this, the better. Contracts to sell land (or interests in land) have to have certain characteristics in order to be enforceable in a court of law. No lawyer can answer your question without seeing the contract and discussing with you the circumstances under which it was signed..

WARNING: I am not your lawyer and providing you with the generic information, definition, clarification or explanation you seek about a legal matter on this anonymous forum does not make me your lawyer. By answering your question I am only trying to provide you with general information that will deepen your understanding of the legal concept that appears to be an issue for you, that will hopefully guide you in selecting and communicating with a lawyer of your choosing. The reason for all this is that legal problems are intensely fact-driven, and it is impossible to give anyone correct legal advice without comprehensive inquiry by the lawyer into the specific facts of the situation that concerns you, and the law of the jurisdiction in which you reside, and that is impossible to accomplish through this website. Even though I am not your lawyer, if I should later become your lawyer no representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.