Las Vegas, NV asked in Bankruptcy for Nevada

Q: Chapter 7 bankruptcy, had already a 341 hearing but now one of the creditors changed the amount owed form 7k to 14k.

Filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy, had the 341 hearing 40 days ago, and now one of the creditors changed the amount owed from 7k to 14k, which I was not aware. What do I need to do, do I have to amend the paperwork submitted to the court? Is there a document I have to submit to court to change the amount? I don't want by any chance to be discharged and be left with additional $7,000 to pay back for a debt that occurred before the bankruptcy filling. What do I do to make sure the whole debt is part of the case. In one week it will be 90 days since I filed for bankruptcy. Please help! Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Earl Phillips
David Earl Phillips
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Nashville, TN

A: You can amend the schedule you filed showing $7000 to $14000 if you wish. The fact that you were incorrect about the amount should not affect the discharge of the entire amount. In chapter 7 it is being sure the creditor is listed that is more important than the actual amount owed in most cases. Of course, if you intentionally misled the bankruptcy court that could be an issue in some cases. If you do not have an attorney you may wish to talk with a bankruptcy lawyer near you that will be familiar with the local customs of your bankruptcy court to be sure everything is in order in your case. Hope it works out. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.