Foreman, AR asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: My ex and I have joint legal custody but our kids want to live with me, they're 11 and 13. Can they choose in AR?

I had residential custody of them up until this summer when my husband and I started building a house. They were staying with their dad because their rooms weren't made yet and he asked if I would be willing to change the papers just until my house was finished and they could come back to me but he didn't want to pay child support so I did thinking he would go through with what he said but now he's telling our kids he has no plans of returning them. We live in the same town but I hardly ever see them. Can I hire them a lawyer so they can choose where they want to go?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Skye Martin
Skye Martin
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: The preference of the children could be a factor, but it’s less likely when they’re still so young. Child custody is determined by the best interest of the child and there are a list of factors that judges consider. I recommend consulting an attorney to determine your best strategy for getting the kids back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.