Pleasantville, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: We just found out our landlords don’t have a certificate of occupancy and they filed evictions.

When we go to court and we show the proof of no CO as our reason for non payment are we able to file for the 6x the rent relocation they have to pay? Are we also able to sue for any rent/security paid? Also they never gave us proof of our security after the 30 days and they have never given us our interested after the 1st year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marcel Wurms
Marcel Wurms
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Lodi, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Not necessarily. All that's required for an eviction is that the property be registered with the town as a rental property, not a current CO.

However, if the unit is illegal, and the town is making the landlord evict you, then you may be entitled.

As far as the security, you MAY be able to have it applied as rent. That depends upon the number of units, if it's owner occupied, and depending upon the first two answers, whether you made a request to have the law apply.

Disclaimer: The provided information is for informational purposes only. This should not be construed as the providing of legal advice, since facts and circumstances of each matter can affect the correctness of this advice. An attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice. Any advice given here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.