Great Neck, NY asked in Products Liability and Car Accidents for New Jersey

Q: My brother, my girlfriend and a mutual friend of ours went to a club one night. It was about 1am in the morning and my

Girlfriend was ready to go, we all carpool. My brother who car we used that night told me to take the car and take my girlfriend home he was going to get a ride home from someone else.. on my way home I had an accident with the car, nobody car was hit only damages to his car. After police reports were made I was informaed that my brother was actually driving someone else’s car who gave him permission to drive his 2nd car. They’ve had this arrangement for serval months. Because I felt responsible I paid for the tolls and have been paying court fees. I usually carpool to work so I told my brother until he can get him a new car I would allow him to drive myself for about a month or so. It’s been three months and my brother is refusing to give me my car until I give him money for a new car and help register it and so forth. What are my options

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: You can have law suits but you all at some point may want to sit down to dinner again so I think it makes sense to see if there is someone that can mediate the dispute.Did you or did someone's insurance pay for the damage to the car you damaged.That's what you have to pay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.