Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Washington

Q: My friend is going to be filing a divorce online with his wife who lives in Washington. It is uncontested. Verbiage?

His question is based on the verbage he needs to use. The wife has full custody of the daughter and he wants visitation rights. If he puts that he wants visitation without using the word custody for himself will that work? He doesn’t want to lose his daughter. Or does he need to be required to say that he wants partial custody?? He does pay child support.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA

A: This is not something he is going to want to do without an attorney. When your car is broken, you take it to a mechanic, not get on youtube and try to figure it out yourself. One simple error can cost thousands to fix. He needs to do it right the first time and hire and experienced attorney to handle the paperwork.


Regina I. Edwards is the Owner of Edwards Family Law.

Ms. Edwards has been practicing law since 2001. She has been voted by her peers a Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star in Family Law for 2018.


P. Justin Thrailkill
P. Justin Thrailkill
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA

A: Talk to an attorney in Washington. This is where most people who do this themselves mess things up. One misplaced word, or misstated sentence could mean big trouble down the road.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.