Ashburn, VA asked in Tax Law for Washington

Q: Taxation on transfer of crypto currency across country border

I am resident of US for tax purpose (have job in US). I have transferred money from My foreign account to US account. I have used this money to buy crypto currency and sold this crypto currency in INR with profit. The money from sale got transferred to my Indian account. I transferred this money to US account and used it to purchase more crypto currency. (Repeat the same thing multiple times with profit / loss). I will report profit/loss appropriately in my tax. Am I under the radar of IRS for doing this? Is there any limit on money that I can get transferred from my foreign account? My foreign account is in India if this makes any difference. If you can help on tax issues in India as well that'll be appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michelle D. Wynn
Michelle D. Wynn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Melbourne, FL

A: When you are a US resident for tax purposes, all of your worldwide income is taxed in the US, regardless of where the proceeds are deposited. This means that, in addition to being taxed on your virtual currency transactions, you would also be subject to tax on the earnings in any Indian bank accounts, PPF accounts, life insurance (even if there aren't any distributions), mutual funds (even if there aren't any distributions), etc., and any other sources of income outside the United States. There are also various reporting forms for bank accounts, investment accounts, life insurance accounts, and mutual funds depending on certain details. I strongly suggest seeking tax advice from a tax professional who is experienced in US taxation of foreign income.

There is US-imposed limit on the amount you can transfer to the US from your accounts in India.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.