Washington, DC asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Virginia

Q: I was wondering in the state of Virginia is there anything that you can do or Sue your employer if it is a Hostile Work

I am currently employed for a private company in the healthcare field it is a relatively small company however the owner of the company is not only a bad manager however I do believe some of the things that she does and says is questionable crossing the HR boundaries. For example she consistently curses at her employees she screams at them in. She sends work related text messages and phone calls all hours of the night. I am a salaried employee.I feel when I go to work every day that it is a hostile work environment and I do not know how she’s going to act each day I am there. I get nervous going into work every day because I do not know how she’s going to act towards the staff and myself and I don’t know what actions I could possibly take.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Whelan
Peter Whelan
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Washington, DC
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: If you work for a private employer in Virginia with fewer than 15 employees, then you are not protected by federal anti-discrimination statutes that might otherwise give you a remedy for a "hostile work environment."

However, it sounds like what you are experiencing is not a "hostile work environment" in the legal sense of the term, because it sounds like the harassment is not related to your sex, race, religion, or other similar protected status.

It sounds like you just work for an incredibly difficult and unpleasant manager, so without more, there is no grounds to sue your employer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.