Overland Park, KS asked in Divorce for Missouri

Q: Uncontested divorce with another child.

I am filling out an uncontested divorce now. The divorce has one child that belongs to the husband and one after we were separated by the man i am now with. Can i have them sign in agreement the paternity being of another father to my second child or does that have to be another separate case than filing for the divorce with children? In Missouri.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer L. Rench
Jennifer L. Rench
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Missouri law says husband is the presumed father, so around here the courts require you to file a separate paternity case to determine that there is not a father-child relationship between husband and child. I highly suggest you consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.