Cottondale, AL asked in Criminal Law for Alabama

Q: I am being charged with assault 3rd she wants me to pay for her hair being pulled. Can I get out of that?

I told the girl 3 times to leave me alone I then threw my drink in her face and pulled her hair. She pressed charges on me for assault and now wants me to pay over 1500$ for her to get some extensions. You also can’t tell in the video if I pulled her hair or not. I can not afford a lawyer but also do not want to take this charge on my record. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel G McKerall
Samuel G McKerall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Gulf Shores, AL

A: You can't afford a lawyer? OK. Get ready to figure out how to earn a living with greatly reduced employment opportunities for the rest of your life. That would be after any possible jail sentence and income you'd lose if incarcerated. You are NOT equipped to deal with law enforcement and the prosecutors on your own. They will eat you alive.

Hire a competent local criminal defense lawyer. Its the only sound advice anyone can give you. Some lawyers will take credit cards, and some will take monthly payments. Relatives and friends will lend you money. You HAVE to get a lawyer.

WARNING: I am not your lawyer and providing you with the generic information, definition, clarification or explanation you seek about a legal matter on this anonymous forum does not make me your lawyer. By answering your question I am only trying to provide you with general information that will deepen your understanding of the legal concept that appears to be an issue for you, that will hopefully guide you in selecting and communicating with a lawyer of your choosing. The reason for all this is that legal problems are intensely fact-driven, and it is impossible to give anyone correct legal advice without comprehensive inquiry by the lawyer into the specific facts of the situation that concerns you, and the law of the jurisdiction in which you reside, and that is impossible to accomplish through this website. Even though I am not your lawyer, if I should later become your lawyer no representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.