Forney, TX asked in DUI / DWI for Oklahoma

Q: I got my first dui and it was aggrivated because I blew so high. It’s my first time getting in trouble with the law.

I can’t afford a attorney and I asked my bondsman if I should apply for a public defender and he said if he was me I should defend myself and plea guilty but accept the court cost and fine but no jail time. But I don’t know how that would workout I just need a few answers.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Josh Davis

  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Enid, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: That’s terrible advice. Apply for a court appointed or try to find a lawyer who will take a payment plan. You want to avoid a conviction and just paying a fine will result in a conviction.

Frank A. Urbanic

  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: First don’t follow the legal advice of someone who is not a lawyer. You can probably afford an attorney. If you don’t have a job then get a job. If you have a job then get a second job. Borrow money from friends/family. Sell/pawn things. Get a second mortgage. I’m always amazed at how resourceful people can be after saying they have “no money.”

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.