Penfield, NY asked in Child Custody and Child Support for New York

Q: My court order limits me from moving outside of Monroe county and my spouse was offered a job in NC, are there options?

My custody and visitation order between my daughters father and I states that I can't move outside of Monroe County, however my wife has been offered a job at a prison in North Carolina. I was wondering if there was a way to request an adjustment to my order and what the chances are that the judge would allow me to move my family to North Carolina. I currently have joint custody, do not receive any sort of child support, and my daughter's father sees her every other weekend (when it suits him).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephanie E. Emanuel
Stephanie E. Emanuel
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bronx, NY

A: You can certainly request the court for custody modification, however, like you said will the court/judge approve it? This depends on the lawyer you hire and the details of the case. Many lawyers will be so quick to say yes, Hire me, I can get the job done, asking for a retainer before even looking at the case. So you have to choose a lawyer that knows whats involved and what they will be doing and not be experimenting with your case. We assist with many out-of-state clients and parents with custody issues within and out of the state of New York.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.