Staten Island, NY asked in Child Custody for New York

Q: Want to file for sole custody of my almost 2Yr.The father currently has a warrant for assault Of a family member

How should I go about this want to protect my family and my self but still want my child to be apart of her father but I don’t want contact with him do not want thwarted are my options. I have been finically supporting my child since birth and she lives with me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephanie E. Emanuel
Stephanie E. Emanuel
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bronx, NY

A: First of all, I understand completely as to why you are pursuing sole custody of the minor child. You should keep in mind that while you have the safety of the child at heart, the court has the best interest of the child at heart. The court will allow and want you to co-parent the child. You can get sole-physical custody, but you might have to share legal custody, making decisions jointly or he has access to the child records. You can use this to start with and put him under supervised visitations. Based on how things go from there we can move forward. Despite what you know, you have to go to court with one eye towards being a cooperative parent so that the court does not see you as the bad person and favors the other party.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.