Flushing, NY asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for New York

Q: Will I be able to have my son fully even if I am not marry and decide to not live with the baby’s dad anymore?

The baby’s dad and I are not marry and we live together but he is on the birth certificate. I am currently still a student and I do not have a income to support but my parents in Texas are willing to look after my son and I’m currently in NY.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephanie E. Emanuel
Stephanie E. Emanuel
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bronx, NY

A: How can your parents look after the son while they are in Texas, unless you are planning to Texas with the child, which might not be possible so unless they decide to come to New York and help look after the child or are you saying they are willing to help you financially to take care of the child. To have the child fully, you will have to demonstrate that you are a better parent than the other one. This can be done by showing your degrees, employment, stable home environment and etc etc. Also a competent and aggressive attorney that will fight tooth and nail to win full custody. Full custody can become very expensive around $20,000 - $40,000 over 2-3 years. Unless the other parent is the worst nightmare. Then you can expect $3,000 - $7,000 over 12-24 months.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.