Yucca Valley, CA asked in Estate Planning for California

Q: My brother wants to make sure I get the house that we live in if he passes. What do I need to file in court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie King
Julie King
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Monterey, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There are several ways to accomplish that objective, but all paperwork needs to be prepared by your brother, since it is his house. Even if he named you as an heir in a will (or beneficiary in a trust), you still wouldn't have any right to the home until after he passes away. As a result, there is nothing you can do on your own to ensure you get the property. Tell your brother to call an Estate Planning attorney to get the paperwork he needs. Best wishes to both of you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.