Portland, OR asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Child Custody for Oregon

Q: My ex has violated a temp stalking order placed on him in August. How will this effect the case?

I am in the middle of a custody battle. I believe my ex is unstable mentally but not diagnosed. He has broken the stalking order by contacting via phone. The police arrested him last friday and he has been in jail all weekend. I am afraid of what will happen when he is released which i assume will be today. Please advise on how this will be seen in the eyes of the judge. Will I automatically win the custody trial? Or what could happen?

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: No, there is no automatic win BUT it will likely favor your position with the court. All in all, you need to review it with your custody attorney and if contacted again, immediately report it to the police. A second violation of the restraining order is likely to keep him in jail for awhile. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.