Asked in Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for New York

Q: What are the statue of limitations for sexual abuse of a minor? What can I do if the statue has passed?

I was sexually assaulted by a friend's dad 8 years ago and this year found out he sexually abused another of her friends. He did get into legal trouble for touching a minor at work but it is not know that he assaulted other children as well. I was 15 at the time and this friend was pf a similar age. He sent explicit photos of himself to her and coerced sexual favors from her. From myself he watched me shower while he exposed himself to me and then pulled a towel away from me to see my breast. We do not have proof but we do not want him to harm any more girls or have the opportunity to prey on them at all. What options do we have if any?

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew S. Tabashneck
Andrew S. Tabashneck
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Williamsville, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I am very sorry to hear about this and very much admire your courage in discussing this matter.

For sexual offenses, the statute of limitations is five years after the last incident and begins to run when you turned 18 years of age. There are also possible exceptions where the statute of limitations may be extended under certain circumstances. Even if this incident occurred a long time ago, I would suggest attempting to go police because it's entirely possible that an exception applies. It's also possible that police could uncover additional wrongdoing.

I wish you the best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.