Valley, AL asked in DUI / DWI for Alabama

Q: I got a dui and a att to alude I want to see what is the consequences?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Frank Stephen Ward
Frank Stephen Ward
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Huntsville, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: There are many factors that go into what the likely outcome would be. A good lawyer might be able to negotiate with the prosecutor and reach an agreement in which one or more of your charges is dropped. Alternatively, a lawyer might be able to win your case either on a pretrial motion or at trial. If you were convicted of these charges there is a range of punishment the judge could impose. A big factor in sentencing would be what your criminal record looks like. For example, if you have prior DUI or other convictions.

Let's focus on just the DUI for a second. You could receive a fine as low as $600 or up to several thousand dollars depending on your record and how harsh the judge wants to be. You would also have to pay court costs. As far as jail goes, for a first offense DUI in Alabama, the law allows the judge to sentence you to anywhere from 0 days up to 1 year, all or part of which may be suspended. If you are convicted of DUI you will have to complete a court order CRO program. You may be placed on supervised or unsupervised probation. Your license will be suspended for a period of time (all or part of which may be swapped out for ignition interlock time depending on your record), and you may or may not have to have to have an ignition interlock device installed on your vehicle and ignition interlock restricted driver license for a period of time.

Fleeing or Attempting to elude (Alabama Code Section 13A-10-52) can be either a Class A Misdemeanor or a Felony if someone other than the defendant was physically injured or killed. In other words it is a serious offense with the risk of jail time. It would also result in a driver license suspension from 6 month to 2 years.

The bottom line is these are serious offenses. You NEED a lawyer to represent you on them if you do not have one already.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.