Fresno, CA asked in Criminal Law, Internet Law and Securities Law for California

Q: If I told somebody they could have a computer hard drive, are they legally allowed to browse my personal data?

My ex wife is claiming that while she said in an email that she would return my computer after she backed up her files, I had previously told her via text that she should keep the hard drives. Her intent is to access the hard drives' data, including ten years worth of my data, and copy whatever she likes.

One of the hard drives has a windows installation, which is protected by my login information. The only way she will be able to access this particular hard drive's data, is if she hooks the hard drives up as secondary drives, and if she does that, she will need to "Take Ownership" of the filesystem. Does this count as account security bypass? And is it illegal for her to do this? I have previously told her that I did not approve of her accessing my data.

The other hard drive was a secondary drive, contains my personal documents, and there is no data of her creation on it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: if you gave it to her you probably should have thought of that then.

you can contact a lawyer to send a demand letter for the return of the drive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.