Grand Haven, MI asked in Car Accidents and Civil Litigation for Michigan

Q: Can I win in small claims for excessive tow charges?

My daughter was rear ended, I spoke to the Police officer over the phone as I was at work and told him I was going to call in a tow truck he then suggested I let him do it it would be quicker. I never received a price, the vehicle was towed and I was charged $350 for a tow of less than 10 miles. I called all the other local tow companies, gave them the scenario and they each said $75..

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: First, I assume you have daughter's vehicle. If not get it back --otherwise you will be charged storage as well. If you bailed it out, great. Send a copy of the receipt to the department that regulates tow operators. If you get a namby pamby response notify your state rep and senators that this needs to be regulated. You can then try suing the tow companies if you paid them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.