Gainesville, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: If I signed a year long lease with my apartment landlord, can he sell the apartment before the year is up?

I’m in college and don’t graduate till May. My landlord is saying he might sell my apartment before then, and the new owners may make me move out. Is that legal if I signed a lease that is good till July? There is no way I’d find a place to live if I had to move out before May, so I don’t know what I’d do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Mantoni
Jennifer Mantoni
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Port Charlotte, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The landlord can sell the property but the new owner must take the property subject to your lease. The landlord nor the new owner can force you to leave unless a valid reason exists to terminate your tenancy. Unless there is a provision in your lease stating otherwise, your lease does not terminate when landlord sells. Again, by law, the new owner takes ownership subject to your lease - meaning your lease continues and the new owner becomes your new landlord.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.