Oscoda, MI asked in Social Security for Michigan

Q: I’m on disability. I’ll be 65 this year. How will my benefits change. I’m also divorced

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Joseph Rizzo III
John Joseph Rizzo III
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: This answer assumes you are receiving SSDI, not SSI. If 65 is your full retirement age, you would be shifted from the SSDI to RSDI. Your payment amount would remain the same, it would just be paid from a different program. It will happen automatically and is really just an accounting entry for the SSA. If you have not qualified for Medicare yet, you would be signed up. If you were married for more than ten years and your ex-spouse is receiving retirement benefits that are higher than yours, you could most likely make a claim and get the higher benefit. This is even available if your ex-spouse remarried.

If you are on SSI and 65 is your full retirement age, your benefits and health insurance would most likely see a significant upgrade.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.