Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Social Security for Michigan on
Q: My employer paid me cash for 10 years. I filed for social security but having issues because of the cash payments.

What if anything can i do about this?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Apr 29, 2020

You are in a tough jam. Were you an independent contractor or just paid under the table? Depending on your answer to that, this may be a significant tax issue for you and your employer. You likely had an obligation to report your payments as income on your taxes, which would have subjected you to... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Collections and Social Security for Michigan on
Q: Is it legal for my savings acct. ( DIRECT DEP from soc sec) to be garnished by credit card company?? FACTS/background

Joint acct, social security check made out to me for the care of my husband. The only money that goes into this acct is his ss check.

The garnishment was against me not him.

4k was taken without my knowledge. I didn't receive garnishment writ as they stated. I was told I... Read more »

Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander answered on Mar 9, 2020

If these are the only funds in this account, you should retain a lawyer to file an objection to garnishment. Exempt funds is just the kind of argument that a judge will listen to. However, if there are commingled funds, the analysis is more complex.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Health Care Law and Social Security for Michigan on
Q: If a person on SSI/medicaid wanted to go on a cruise, are they able to pay for their caretaker's ticket without penalty?

I'm physically disabled from brain cancer. I require a wheelchair, receive SSI/Medicaid and have a registered in-home caretaker from the state of Michigan. I would like to go on a cruise, but it would be necessary that my caretaker come along with me. Can I pay for their ticket and have it... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Sep 26, 2019

The $10,000 inheritance is disqualifying income in the month of receipt. There is not much you can do about that. If you still have that money on hand on the first day of the following month, sitting in a regular ol' checking account, for example, it will be a countable asset and that will... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Social Security for Michigan on
Q: My sister lives in Michigan, collects social security disability due to bipolar issue. Can she open a banking account?
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 17, 2019

Yes, of course your sister can open a bank account--with one important caveat: If your sister intends to put lots of money into a bank account--or in any other kind of financial account--she may be at risk of having to explain where she is getting the money.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Michigan on
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 1, 2019

I don't believe so. Check with Social Security but I don't see how it would.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security and Real Estate Law for Michigan on
Q: Can a person on ssi disability own property when ssi limits the amount of cash that they can have ($2,000.00) in bank
David Soble
David Soble answered on Oct 3, 2018

Generally speaking a person who collects disability can own real estate. If you are speaking in terms of financing a property with a mortgage, then your disability income should be included in the income calculations, provided the disability is not temporary. So for financing purposes, disability... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Social Security for Michigan on
Q: Would you be able to help me with my Ssi I have been denied once case closed and help me get a divorce?

I am legally married in Upstate New York I reside in Kalamazoo MI.. I am homeless and terminally ill please help me

John Joseph Rizzo III
John Joseph Rizzo III answered on Feb 5, 2018

Have you tried contacting a legal aid provider in Kalamazoo? Please move quickly because of the appeal deadline. Here is a link to one:

Legal aid should be familiar with both issues and you will want a local attorney to handle the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Michigan on
Q: I’m on disability. I’ll be 65 this year. How will my benefits change. I’m also divorced
John Joseph Rizzo III
John Joseph Rizzo III answered on Feb 2, 2018

This answer assumes you are receiving SSDI, not SSI. If 65 is your full retirement age, you would be shifted from the SSDI to RSDI. Your payment amount would remain the same, it would just be paid from a different program. It will happen automatically and is really just an accounting entry for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security, Tax Law, Public Benefits and Immigration Law for Michigan on
Q: Concerning federal poverty level. Are disabled ssdi and veterans benefits countable income for poverty chart?

For government immigration form fee waiver.

John Joseph Rizzo III
John Joseph Rizzo III answered on Jan 30, 2018

I believe the answer could change based on the facts. For instance, many people use SSDI and SSI interchangeably when they are very different programs. If you receive SSI, you should be automatically eligible for the fee waiver. If you receive SSDI, that will probably count against you when... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Michigan on
Q: I retired in 2016 at age 60. My deceased husband will be 65 in April, can I collect his social security?
John Joseph Rizzo III
John Joseph Rizzo III answered on Jan 16, 2018

Prior to your full retirement age, you may claim reduced benefits based on your deceased husband's earning records. If he was receiving a reduced benefit before he passed away, your benefits would be based on his reduced benefits. So, unless he claimed his benefits before full retirement... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Social Security for Michigan on
Q: I receive SSI & had an accident. I will be receiving a settlement, will it affect my SSI payments, medicaid or EBT
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 29, 2017

Yes. You need to arrange a "spend down." Discuss this with your attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.