Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Libel & Slander for Alabama

Q: My dog got ran over.Lady came back an hour later wanting reimbursement for car damage.Cant find my dog.What can I do?

The lady lives at the end of my road. Every time she comes by she is speeding way over the 25mh speed limit. I still haven't found my dog to know if hes hurt or dead. This lady came back am hour after running my dog over wanting money. I think if my dog is hurt or dead she should pay me for vet bill. I live outside city limits in the county area of Marshall county Alabama and I'm not aware of a leash law or any law requiring me to put my animal in a pen. What can I do and can she sue me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jeremy Cohen
Jeremy Cohen
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Swampscott, MA

A: Hello,

Helpful information can be found on the county website, division of animal control. The website states: Animals are not permitted to run at large in Marshall County pursuant to state law. (Code of Alabama, Section 3-1-5).

They also may be able to assist you in locating your dog if your dog is still missing. Their website can be accessed at:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.