Warwick, RI asked in Employment Law for Rhode Island

Q: i suffer from major depression, anxiety, bipolar, manic and so on i have hospitalized several times had ECT treatments

i spent several years bedridden. due to my depression. apparently i signed paper work to take an early pension from my job and made my 77 year old husband beneficiary first of all i would of never ever made him my beneficiary i would of made my 31 year old son who is not my husband biological son you could ask anybody who knows me my son would of been my beneficiary and i would of never ever took an early pension. i am losing money! i have been on SSDI since 2006 due to my illness i have a lot of documentation from doctors, hospitals and my psychiatrist. because i was not mentally stable or knew what i was doing can this be reversed

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bernard P. Healy
Bernard P. Healy
  • Pawtucket, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: I do not have specific information to respond fully to your question. Since you have been receiving SSDI since 2006, I assume that you took your early pension at approximately that time. Since this was an employment related benefit, the governing Law was probably Federal, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act. At this point, more than 10 years later, the likelihood of your reversing that assignment is slim to none.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.