Waukesha, WI asked in Tax Law for Wisconsin

Q: my mom has not done her taxes in four years, what are her options?

After a crisis where my mom was admitted to hospital, discovered numerous issues with managing health and finances. She has dementia and was obviously having more issues than knew. She has not filed taxes in four years. She can have them done for free this year but siblings are arguing as some do not want her to file for fear it will be found have not done them for four years. She does not have the money to pay back taxes. I want her to at least do this year for free and can figure out past years later as appointments fill up fast

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: I believe that your best option is to contact a low income taxpayer clinic in your area. I volunteer at one and we handle cases like this all the time. The following is a link to find one in your area: https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/about/litc

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.