Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Wisconsin Tax Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Collections and Elder Law for Wisconsin on

Q: Can the State of Wisconsin garnish a persons pension payment? I'm 69, receive SocSec and a small pension from UPS.

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 24, 2019

As is usually the case when open-ended questions like yours are asked by non-lawyers the answer will be "It depends."

In this case it depends upon the reason for the wage garnishment. If Wisconsin law allows the state to garnish wages in certain cases (like failure to pay court-ordered...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Wisconsin on

Q: I need advice from a tax attorney

Tax returns offset for student loans that have been discharged

Andrew M Steiger answered on Jun 5, 2019

The question may require some clarification. Did you receive a 1099 related to cancelled student loans that you now have to include in income on your 1040? Or are your refunds used /taken by the lenders to offset the cancelled student loans? Cancellation of debt income is often ignored or not... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law and Probate for Wisconsin on

Q: Who is responsible for real estate property taxes on a Home being held in a testamentary trust for minor children?

Thomas B. Burton answered on Mar 27, 2019

You should check the terms of the trust, but usually the trust itself will pay the taxes while the home is being held in trust for the minor children. This could be altered by the terms of the trust, to say someone else must pay, but since the children are minors, it seems likely that the trust was... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Wisconsin on

Q: Who do I contact to help me with a issue involving IRS And HR Block

For 2016 taxes my mother and I had HR Block do our taxes. They had my mother claim my daughter and I because I did not make enough. And they told us it would be a better income. We made sure we got all the extra coverage for if we got audited. Which we did. We all fought with the IRS trying to... Read more »

Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Nov 21, 2018

I am not clear on your question. If you are asking if HR Block has to pay you the refund that they told your mother she was going to get, from what I am familiar with from some of my clients, that is not included in the audit coverage. You would need to read what they gave you to be sure.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Child Support for Wisconsin on

Q: I pay 217 biweekly for child support and now have another garnishment on my wages how much can they with hold?

i bring home about 720 biweekly after taxes and cjild support

Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Nov 13, 2018

If the other garnishment is for federal taxes then you may be eligible to have the amount reduced or have the garnishment stopped completely. It is impossible to tell without doing a financial analysis. Most of us offer a free consultation and can let you know your options.


1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Tax Law for Wisconsin on

Q: I live with stepson. He pays me to care for him. He still takes out medicare tax and FICA Tax. As a parent should he?

His mother my wife doesn't have any medicare or FICA taken out. Which Internal Revenue Code contains a “family employment exception”, which applies to service in a private home “in the employ of an individual’s son, daughter, or spouse”. In those cases, according to the IRS, no actual... Read more »

Eric Steven Day answered on May 21, 2018

If he is paying you a wage as an employee, or providing you with a W-2, then he should withhold employment taxes from your wage. You, the employee, with pay half (about 7.7%) and he, the employer, will pay the other half. If he is paying you as an independent contractor, then he is not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Wisconsin on

Q: my mom has not done her taxes in four years, what are her options?

After a crisis where my mom was admitted to hospital, discovered numerous issues with managing health and finances. She has dementia and was obviously having more issues than knew. She has not filed taxes in four years. She can have them done for free this year but siblings are arguing as some do... Read more »

Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Feb 8, 2018

I believe that your best option is to contact a low income taxpayer clinic in your area. I volunteer at one and we handle cases like this all the time. The following is a link to find one in your area:

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Wisconsin on

Q: The irs made a huge mistake in 2014 and entered my husbands income double the amount even though we have a correct w-2

From the employer and they see it in there computer they keep giving me the run around they send me here n there to talk to him and her and nothing also being on food stamp assistance they took my refund for this 2014 mistake and food stamps took some for supposedley giving me more then I should... Read more »

Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Dec 31, 2017

Call your local taxpayer advocate's office. They should be able to help you cut through the red tape. Here is a link to find the number to find your local office

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Wisconsin on

Q: I would like to know how soon does the IRS come after garnishment without being able to pay them?

I had a payment plan set up but could not sustain it due to medical and hours being cut at work and a 127,000 student loan debt. What can I do

Matthew M Montoya answered on Apr 19, 2017

You shouldn't be waiting for them to come to you. If you really can't pay, there are options available to you. If you meet the low income thresholds, go to your local Low Income Taxpayer Clinic, often run through legal aid groups or through law schools. If not, speak to an enrolled agent or tax... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Tax Law for Wisconsin on

Q: If I lease a vehicle for business use, how do I calculate percent business use vs percent personal use for tax purposes.

I want to know if in leasing a vehicle for Uber I can deduct roughly, say 80 percent (percentage of business use), of monthly payments minus the inclusion on my year end taxes.

Matthew M Montoya answered on Oct 4, 2016

The rules are a bit different depending on whether your business is a Sole Proprietorship (Schedule C), a C-corporation, or S-Corporation. If you're like most taxpayers, you're probably using a Schedule C to report this to the IRS. In claiming business use of a vehicle, strict rules must be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Wisconsin on

Q: My parents own 40 acres of land in Eau Claire Wis. Dad wants to sell me the 40 acres now for 1$. What taxes will I pay?

My parents own about 320 acres of land. 280 acres is located in Dunn County, Wisconsin.

They also own a 40 acre parcel of hunting land in Eau Claire County, Wisconsin.

My father is determined to sell me the 40 acres of hunting land for 1$. He would like to "sell" it to me... Read more »

Zaher Fallahi answered on Nov 19, 2013

I applaud your articulation of the facts and the pointed questions. Based on the facts you presented, if they sell you the land for $1, this is construed as a gift ($66,599) to you. If you sell it now, you will have to pay taxes on the $66,599, as ordinary income or short term capital gains. If you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Wisconsin on

Q: Can duty free cigarettes be imported to wisconsin tax free if kept under a certain amount?

Eric M Wiechert answered on May 23, 2011

No - subject to a very narrow personal use exception.

You generally can't take tobacco products across state lines for resale without paying federal & state excise taxes. See .

There are some exemptions for deminimis personal use...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Wisconsin on


Mr Jeffrey D Heck answered on Feb 5, 2011

"Et al." is a Latin phrase meaning "and others." it is used by lawyers to indicate that the name listed is not an exhaustive list of persons affected by the legal document.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.