Floyd, VA asked in Adoption for Virginia

Q: Started adoption process for private adoption. Been searching for 4 years for the birth mother to go to court. How long

Wife and I entered into an adoption agreement with birth mother. We got him at 6 days old. After a week the mother wanted baby back. We took it to lawyers office and he sent us to CPS. The social worker told us under no circumstances are we to give the child back. There are possibilities the child would be in danger with birth family. Mothers boyfriend who is not the father tried to kill him at birth. We finished home study and tried to proceed with the adoption but now can't find birth mother to proceed. She is homeless. There is no father on record. Child is 4 now and we need to get him ready for school. Is there any hope for us or do we stay in limbo? Our Lawyer told us we can't proceed until WE find the birth mother. He said it was on us to finder to petition for adoption. We have hit a brick wall. If we lost him now it would crush us but the most important is the child. We are the only parents he has known, and despite the emotional downs, won't survive in her custody. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
  • Winchester, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Locating a new lawyer may be in order, as there are certainly methods for locating a birth mother that a lawyer can utilize known as "skip tracing." Find a lawyer who knows the term and how it works.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.