Silver Spring, MD asked in Bankruptcy for District of Columbia

Q: Filed bankruptcy chapter on 8-29-2017; it was discharged on 12-12-2017. Can a college withhold transcript and diploma?

Can a college withhold transcript and diploma after you receive your discharged Chapter Seven?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrellos Mitchell
Andrellos Mitchell
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Washington, DC
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: Federally Funded Public Student Loans are typically non-dischargeable in Bankruptcy. An actual complaint needs to filed against the lenders and then you must meet an extremely high burden to even have the court consider

discharging your student loans. I'm not sure why a college or university would withhold your transcripts and degree because you filed bankruptcy. However, a college or university can do whatever it pleases. Whether its actions are legal is a totally different matter. It is up to you to decide how you want to respond. Hiring a lawyer to write a letter might not be a bad place to start.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.