Columbia, MO asked in Legal Malpractice for Missouri

Q: I initiated a case to re-establish visitation with my grandson. My lawyer filed this in civil court.

She knew at the time that his divorced parents had already dealt with a custody dispute in family court. The father's lawyer insisted that the law requires this to be dealt with in family court and my lawyer agreed with him to move it.

Was it a legal error on her part to file in the civil court and should I be responsible for the hefty fees - around $6000- for those wasted efforts and wasted time?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Lawyers are not supposed to charge for fixing their mistakes. You may want to consult to someone who handles malpractice cases, instead of those who handle family law. But, first talk to your attorney and see if she will negotiate on the bill.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.