Missouri Legal Malpractice Questions & Answers

Q: Hello, I am wanting to host a boxing event at my house and charge for admission, how can I do this and have it be legal?

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law and Legal Malpractice for Missouri on
Answered on Apr 14, 2019
Ronald J. Eisenberg's answer
Bad idea on many grounds. First, I doubt the match would be commissioned through the state. Second, you would incur liability risks. Third, it might be unlawful under your city's laws. Fourth, it might violate your HOA declaration or rules and regulations, if applicable.

Q: can an extended stay hotel refuse to continue to rent due to rumors?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for Missouri on
Answered on Feb 26, 2019
Ronald J. Eisenberg's answer
A hotel may not discriminate against you on account of race, religion, national origin, etc., but may discriminate against you on account of merely not liking you or mistakenly believing you are selling drugs.

Q: Can a lawyer keep the money we paid him for bankruptcy, even tho we decided not to file? He's been paid for a year.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Legal Malpractice for Missouri on
Answered on Apr 17, 2018
Timothy Denison's answer
He can keep the portion he earned prior to your advising him you were not filing. The rest must be returned.

Q: Is a judge allowed to give my personal property,my place of business plus equipment,files,etc that I had 20 yrs before

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law and Legal Malpractice for Missouri on
Answered on Apr 6, 2018
Ronald J. Eisenberg's answer
I don't understand your question. Give your property to whom? What decision?

You are certainly allowed to retain new counsel, but the judge is not required to put the case on hold to allow time for you to retain new counsel. Most will give a reasonable time period, however. Your prior counsel should have filed a motion to withdraw and a notice of hearing, thereby giving you some time to get new counsel.

Q: Did the lawyer commit forgery with my signature or not?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Legal Malpractice for Missouri on
Answered on Apr 4, 2018
Ronald J. Eisenberg's answer
A Stipulated Order means an order that the parties stipulate or agree to. A Temporary Order is not a final order.

No one should make an unauthorized signature.

Q: I initiated a case to re-establish visitation with my grandson. My lawyer filed this in civil court.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Missouri on
Answered on Feb 6, 2018
Lydia Seifner's answer
Lawyers are not supposed to charge for fixing their mistakes. You may want to consult to someone who handles malpractice cases, instead of those who handle family law. But, first talk to your attorney and see if she will negotiate on the bill.

Q: I am involved in a lawsuit and I sent my attorney via email my checking account information and social security number.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Missouri on
Answered on Oct 12, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
It appears that you were informed that he had disclosed the information. Normally, discovery responses are signed by the party (you), as well as the party's attorney. Were you not asked to sign the discovery responses?

How have you been damaged by this?

Q: I had a discrimination wrongful termination case that my lawyer prematurely dismissed. is this a good legal malpractice

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Missouri on
Answered on Oct 8, 2015
Andrew Hahn's answer
This is certainly a difficult situation, but any attorney would need to read the pleadings before being able to give an answer about the merits of this case. It sounds like there may be something worth looking into deeper, but you need to speak with a legal malpractice attorney in person.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.