Aliso Viejo, CA asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for District of Columbia

Q: Minors Formalizing a Common-Law Marriage in the District of Columbia

My common-law husband and I have cohabitated together outside of Washington D.C. and been together for almost a year. We present each other as husband and wife and we would like to formalize our marriage by having it recorded so that it is recognized in other states. We are both under eighteen, so the problem is that a normal marriage in Washington D.C. requires parental consent from the parents of both minors, but I am estranged from my parents and they would not approve. Five in a thousand Americans under the age of eighteen are married and we already call each other husband and wife, we would just like it formally recorded and also to change last names. From what I’ve seen, common-law marriage in the District of Columbia has no age requirement and we could go to the Superior Court. Am I missing anything? How would we go about formalizing our common-law marriage and getting it entered into the public record?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: You cannot establish a common law marriage in DC unless you have been living in DC and meet all the requirements for establishing the marriage in DC. You state you have been living together outside DC--that will not qualify, unless you are in a jurisdiction that recognizes common law marriage. Maryland and Virginia do not recognize common law marriage established in their jurisdictions, but will recognize the marriage if legally established in another jurisdiction that does allow it. Therefore, you would not qualify as common law husband and wife under DC law since you do not reside there and have not met the requirements there. Finally, until you both turn 18 years of age, no marriage is legal without consent of the parents or legal guardians of both minor spouses. You cannot get around this requirement, and any marriage of minors without parental consent will be void and not recognized, which will have a significant impact on marital rights. You will have to wait until you have the consent of your parents--and document it--or until you both turn 18 and can marry legally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.