Eighty Four, PA asked in DUI / DWI for Michigan

Q: My son is doing a 8 month stint in st clair county Jail for a DUI conviction the Judge agreed to allow him work release

to keep his job. Is there a way to get a temporary license to allow him to be able to go to and from his employment?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Frank B. Ford
Frank B. Ford
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Dearborn Heights, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It depends on his driving record. If his license is revoked, which would be the case if he has had two convictions for drinking and driving in a seven year period, then his only options are: (1) to be in a sobriety court program, which it sounds like is out of the question, since he's been given eight months in jail, or (2) to have a hearing at the Secretary of State Administrative Hearings Section, which has very strict standards for granting a restricted work license, which I'm guessing he would not be able to meet, since this is apparently a fairly new incident that led to his incarceration. To be sure, an attorney who handles driver's license restorations would have to review his driving record. I, as many attorneys do, will review at no charge a driving record that is faxed to me. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.