Collins, MS asked in Bankruptcy and Child Support for Mississippi

Q: What can I do if my Ex and his wife filed a chapter 13 which has stopped my accrued child support payments significantly

The last payment from garnishment was in June 2017. I was told by the trustee that after I filed my proof of claim I would receive retroactive payments on the first check. I received the first check in December 2017 without the full retroactive amount. The second payment came in January 2018. I was told payments were mailed on the 28th of every month. This month, February, I didn't receive a check. I contacted the trustee who then stated my Ex and his wife have decided to modify the chapter 13. I never received any paperwork to this effect. Now, no payments again. I'm so lost and can't seem to find a lawyer who can help me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Gambrell
Robert Gambrell
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Hernando, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You should contact the MS Department of Human Services, Child Support Collection Division to determine if you can get free assistance with the collection of child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.