Supply, NC asked in Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: How can I stop the sell of Property that was supposed to signed over to me. Not sure if INC. or persons name

There was an agreement between one owner (president of Inc.) to sign property over after I sold property and gave them funds from sell to invest in the Inc.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Will Blackton
Will Blackton
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: North Carolina General Statute § 22-2. Contract for sale of land; leases.

All contracts to sell or convey any lands, ... or any interest in or concerning them, ... shall be void unless said contract, or some memorandum or note thereof, be put in writing and signed by the party to be charged therewith, or by some other person by him thereto lawfully authorized.

Is that agreement in writing signed by the president or a representative of the company? Contact an attorney in the county where the property is located. That attorney will be able to tell you if filing suit or filing a notice of lis pendens is appropriate to stop the sale of property in which you have an interest. I do not recommend that you do this without the assistance of an attorney, if you improperly file a notice of lis pendens, you could open yourself up to a lawsuit for slander of title, also called “title disparagement of property” or “injurious falsehood.”

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.