Bremerton, WA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Washington

Q: I downloaded a will template from eForms, Washington Last Will and Testament Template. Can I change some of the words?

I have made the wording fit my particular situation in the beneficiary section of the will. Does this action change the validity of the will?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI

A: Sure you can change it.

The problem is that it might not do what you WANT it to do. The only way to know for sure is to consult with a LOCAL ESTATE PLANNING ATTORNEY and SHOW him/her the language. That will cost as much as having the lawyer just prepare the document, but it really is the only way to know if the changes you want to make are significant and may or may not cause a problem.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish about this. The cost of a professionally drafted will and other estate planning documents (you do have the REST of the documents you need, right?) is not great, and the few nickels you save by buying the 'fill in the blank' forms are rarely a good investment in the long run.

Seek local legal advice from a licensed professional.

--This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship. I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.