El Paso, TX asked in Domestic Violence, Military Law and Criminal Law for Texas

Q: How do I file old domestic violence charges on my ex ? Hes military and they hid the DV. I want help on the civil side.

My ex started assaulting me 2 years ago. Everytime I called the cops his command would come get him and take him to the barracks. Nothing ever came of it. He moved me and our girls on post and it got worse. He assaulted me and raped me and i was arrested by the mps. Nothing has ever happened with the dv and i just want my side heard and the harrassment to end. I want to protect my kids. Without dealing with the army he has been hiding behind them by jumping units and none of the info follows him so the command has no knowledge of it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Go to the Sheriff's Office in the county where this happened and ask to file a complaint. The complaint will probably be reviewed by a detective who will decide whether there is Probable Cause to seek an arrest warrant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.