Venice, FL asked in Admiralty / Maritime and Personal Injury for Florida

Q: I was on a Norwegian cruise and got hurt on their island, in an area that had no signs posted swim at your own risk.

I ended up having to go back to the ship to have my injury seen by a doctor. I only signed a document for treatment, I did not sign for the Medical Services Bill that state I will not hold them liable and that I will accept paying the bill. They are now trying to send me to collections. What can I do?

2 Lawyer Answers
Gordon Charles Webb
Gordon Charles Webb pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Maritime Law Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA

A: You most likely will need to sue them in Florida. Typically you must send them a Notice of Claim letter within 6 months of the incident and then file suit within one year of the incident. So best you consult with a Florida lawyer ASAP.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Typically Florida has jurisdiction in the vast majority of cruise ship related accident. Discuss with counsel here in Florida.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.