Hyattsville, MD asked in Child Support for District of Columbia

Q: Do I still have to pay child support if my child how is 18 and now lives with me full time.

My ex and I share joint physical custody and I pay child support, health care and everything else a parent should do. When our son turned 18 he chose to live with me full time . Will DC courts order a termination of support payments to my ex?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: Turning 18 usually does the trick, but you need to look at your child support order and take it to a lawyer. If child support is still due under the order or by law (such as your child has not yet graduated fro high school and support is due until graduation in May) then you will need to file a motion or petition to modify or terminate support based on a material change of circumstances (e.g., your child's change of residence). The support must still be paid until the court makes its ruling, but termination of payment can be made retroactive to the date you file the petition to modify.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.