Spanaway, WA asked in Child Support for Washington

Q: Does the non custodial parent stop paying child support during visitations, ie... summer breaks?

There is nothing in my support order stating such and he receives 6 weeks visitation (he resides out of state) during summer breaks.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marc Andrew Moses
Marc Andrew Moses
  • Licensed in Washington

A: When a Washington court orders child support, the order states when it is payable- monthly, or bi-monthly, or perhaps within some other time frame. Unless the order states that payment of child support may be suspended when the non-custodial parent has parenting time (which is highly unlikely), child support is due all year long.

Generally, child support and visitation are two separate issues. Visitation cannot be withheld because of non-payment of child support; likewise, child support cannot be withheld because visitation is not taking place, for whatever reason.

I would, however, recommend that you consult with a family law attorney to discuss the details of your particular issues, since every situation is different.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.