Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Municipal Law for Missouri

Q: I bonded out on a speeding ticket can i have someone show up to court on my behalf due to my absence

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Eureka, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: The only person who can show up in court on your behalf is a licensed attorney.

If you paid the bond and they gave you a new court date, here are your choices: 1) you can plead guilty by paying the fine before the court date (if it's the type of ticket that can be paid out of court), or 2) you can hire an attorney to appear in court for you and get your ticket reduced to a non-moving, no-point infraction so you won't have points on your driving record and your car insurance rates won't increase.

If you don't show up for the court date and you haven't paid the fine or hired an attorney to represent you by that date, the judge can issue a new warrant for your arrest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.